Songs of Syon
George Radcliffe Woodward, ed., Songs of Syon (London: Schott & Co., Third Edition, 1908)
The title comes from Psalm 137; Woodward's translation (#306):
An Wasserflusten Babylon
Beside the flood of Babylon
We sate us down in sorrow;
Whenas we thought on thee, Syón,
We wept by night and morrow;
Our psalteries and harps unstrung
Upon the willow-trees we hung:
Our masters, void of pity,
(That led us captive) oft would call
Upon us for a madrigal,
A song of Syon-city.
The Lord’s own song—it cannot
That Jacob’s sons and daughters
Make musick in a strange countrie
By sad Euphrates’ waters:
O Salem, if my mind be set
On mirth, let this right hand forget
Her cunning ever after:
My tongue unto her palate cleave,
If once for thee I cease to grieve,
Or tears give place to laughter.
Table of Contents
contents of this volume are reproduced on this website.
Selections are limited to songs related to Christmas or the Christmas-tide.
Advent, Christmas, Epiphany
The Common Of Our Lady
The Proper of the Saints
240. The Lord And King Of All Things (For S. Stephen)
242. All Hail Ye Infant Martyr Flowers (Feast of the Innocents)
252. O For Thy Spirit, Holy John (For the Nativity of S. John The Baptist)
253. Hail, O Thou, Of Woman Born (For the Nativity of S. John The Baptist)
254. From The Desert-Caverns Rude (For the Nativity of S. John The Baptist)
255. When To Thee Our Saviour Christ (For the Nativity of S. John The Baptist)
257. Our Lady Took The Road (For the Visitation Of Our Lady)
258. Pure Maid Of Nazareth (For the Visitation Of Our Lady)
427. Wo, Jesu, Is Me
LAVS DEO CVIVS GRACIA
FINIS ADEST PRESENT!
Collections of Rev. George R. Woodward on this website include:
The Hymns and Carols for Christmas-tide (London: H. Grice, 1897)
The Cowley Carol Book for Christmas, Easter and Ascensiontide, First and Second Series (London: A. R. Mowbray & Co., Ltd, 1902, 1912 Revised and Expanded Edition)
Songs of Syon (London: Schott & Co., Third Edition, 1908) [this page]
An Italian Carol Book (London: The Faith Press, Ltd., 1920); co-edited with Charles Wood.
The Babe of Bethlehem. Being Some Christmas Carols (Hillsgate Village, 1923)
The Cambridge Carol-Book. Being Fifty-Two Songs For Christmas, Easter, And Other Seasons. (London: Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge, 1924); co-edited with Charles Wood. Please note that content is limited to Christmas-related carols or hymns.
Photo Gallery from The Adoration of the Kings (London, Medici Society, 1924)
If you would like to help support Hymns and Carols of Christmas, please click on the button below and make a donation.