The True Messiah Now Appears
Words: Isaac Watts
Source: Silas H. Durant and P. G. Lester, eds., Hymn and Tune Book, Greenfield, Indiana: D. H. Goble: 1886, Hymn #57, p. 22.
1. The true Messiah now appears,
The types are all withdrawn;
So fly the shadows and the stars,
Before the rising dawn.
2. The smoking sweet, the bleeding lamb,
The kid and bullock slain,
And costly spice of every name,
Would all be burnt in vain.
3. Aaron must lay his robes away,
His mitre and his vest,
When Christ the Lord comes down to be
The offering and the Priest.
4. He took our mortal flesh to show
The wonders of his love;
For us he paid his life below,
And prays for us above.
5. "Father," he cries, " forgive their sins,
For I myself have died;"
And then he shows his opened veins,
And pleads his wounded side.
If you would like to help support Hymns and Carols of Christmas, please click on the button below and make a donation.