Stars Of The Morning!
Words: R. P. Ellis, 20th Century
Source: George Radcliffe Woodward, ed, Songs of Syon (London: Schott & Co., Third Edition, 1908), #428
1. Stars of the morning! loud be your psalmody,
This day adorning meetly with melody,
For unto us a Son is given,
Who cometh into the world from heaven.
2. Godís Son eternal, leaving the heritage
Of realm supernal, maketh a pilgrimage,
Forth from a virgin-womb proceeding,
Mercy to bring to the mercy-needing.
3. Lo! Mary poureth lowly her orison;
Joseph imploreth humbly a benison;
Where ox and ass, their Owner knowing,
Down to the crib of a Babe are bowing.
4. King of Archangels, throned on the
Worship of Angels, joy of the Seraphim;
Whence may we feeble mortals capture
Skill to adore him with holy rapture?
5. Heavenly chorus, learn us a
Glad and sonorous, meet for this festival!
Thy lowly heart, O Joseph, lend us!
Mary, in all that we lack, befriend us!