Words: Thomas R. Birks, 1874
A Paraphrase of Psalm 50
1. The mighty God, the Lord hath spoken,
And bid the trembling earth draw nigh:
The silence of long ages broken,
He speaks in thunder from the sky.
2. Forth from the heavenly Zion shining,
In perfect beauty He appears:
Love, wisdom, majesty combining,
Bright are the diadems He wears.
3. He speaks and all the nations tremble;
Heaven, earth and hell His voice obey:
In solemn awe His saints assemble,
The world's dim shadows flee away.
4. O who can stand when Thou appearest
In robes of majesty divine?
Though now each contrite sigh Thou hearest,
What terrors then will round thee shine!
5. O mighty God, O Lord most holy,
Prepare us for that solemn day:
O shield and guard us, save us wholly,
Thy pardoning grace to us display.
If you would like to help support Hymns and Carols of Christmas, please click on the button below and make a donation.