Words: John Mason Neale, 1851, alt.
1. Lift up, lift up your voices now!
The whole wide world rejoices now;
The Lord has triumphed gloriously,
The Lord shall reign victoriously.
2. In vain with stone the cave they barred;
In vain the watch stayed up to guard;1
Majestic from the stone cold tomb,
In pomp of triumph Christ is come.
3. And all He did, and all He bare,
He gives us as our own to share;
And hope, and joy and peace begin,
For Christ has won, and we shall win.2
Additional third verse from Henry Sloane Coffin and Ambrose White Vernon, eds., Hymns of the Kingdom of God:
3. He binds in chains the ancient foe;
A countless host He frees from woe
And heaven's high portal open flies,
For Christ has risen, and man shall rise.
1. Or: In vain the watch kept ward and guard. Return
2. Or: and man shall win. Return
3. Or: Thou hast trod. Return
4. Or: Thee. Return
Sheet Music "Waltham" by J. Baptiste Calkin, 1872, from Henry Sloane Coffin and Ambrose White Vernon, eds., Hymns of the Kingdom of God. New York: The A. S. Barnes Company, 1910, #86.
If you would like to help support Hymns and Carols of Christmas, please click on the button below and make a donation.