IMMANUEL, WE SING THY PRAISE
1. Immanuel, we sing Thy praise;
Thou Prince of Life, Thou Fount of Grace,
With all Thy saints, Thee, Lord, we sing;
Praise, honor, thanks, to Thee we bring.1
2. E'er since the world began to be,
How many a heart hath longed for Thee!
And Thou, O long expected Guest,
Hast come at last to make us blest!
3. Now art Thou here: we know Thee now:
In lowly manger liest Thou:
A Child, yet makest all things great;
Poor, yet the earth Thy robe of state.
4. Now fearlessly I come to Thee:
From sin and grief O set me free!
Turn wrath away, dread death destroy,
And turn my sorrow into joy.2
6. Thus will I sing Thy praises here,
With joyful spirit year by year;
And when we reckon years no more,
May I in heaven Thy name adore.
1. The version from O. Hardwig, The Wartburg Hymnal (1918) adds Hallelujah to the end of each verse. See sheet music (below). Return
Now fearless I can look on Thee.
From sin and grief Thou setíst me free!
Thou bearest wrath, Thou conquerest death.
Fear turns to joy Thy gaze beneath. Return
3. Or: And by Thy Spirit's strength would still Return
4. Or: Serve Thee according to Thy will. Return
Sheet Music from O. Hardwig, ed., The Wartburg Hymnal (Chicago: Wartburg Publishing House, 1918), #93
If you would like to help support Hymns and Carols of Christmas, please click on the button below and make a donation.