By Types And Figures, Many A Year
The Third Sunday In Advent
Celebrating the Age After The Return Of The Jews From Captivity1
Words: John Mason Neale
Music: Not Stated
Rev. John Mason Neale, Hymns for the Young. Second Series of Hymns for Children
Edition. (London: Joseph Masters, 1854), #25, p. 31.
See: Christmas in Neale's Hymns for Children
Exodus 12; Leviticus 16:20; St. John 3:14, St. John 6:32 ; 1 Corinthians 10:4.
1. By types and figures, many a year,
God taught His Church that Christ drew near;
And darkly shewed her how to see
A shadow of good things to be.
2. The scape-Goat, bearing on his head
The load of sin, in Israel’s stead ;
Each sacrifice whose blood was pour’d2
To make atonement to the Lord ;
3. The Paschal Lamb at evening slain,3
With bone unbroke, without a stain;
The blood on door and lintel shed,
The hyssop, and unleaven’d bread ;
4. The brazen serpent set on high,
That they who saw it might not die ;4
The manna, that at break of day
About the tents of Israel lay ;
5. All told of Him that should arise
To be our Perfect Sacrifice ;
Of Him, the True and Living Bread
Wherewith the Holy Church is fed.5
6. The cloven rock whence streams were sent,
That followed Israel as they went,
And day by day their thirst sufficed,
And never failed;— “That Rock was Christ.”6
7. Darkly we see and dimly here ;
In heaven all types must disappear:
There we shall know Thee, round Thy throne,
Blest Three in One, as we are known !
Footnote by Dr. Neale.
1, p. 28. The four Sundays in Advent represent the four ages of the world before the coming of Christ—that of the Patriarchs, that of the Law, that of the Prophets, and that after the return of the Jews from captivity, when Prophets were gradually withdrawn. Return
2. Leviticus 16:20. And when he hath made an end of reconciling the holy place, and the tabernacle of the congregation, and the altar, he shall bring the live goat. Return
3. Exodus 12. See: Exodus 12. Return
4. John 3:14. And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up. Return
5. John 6:32. Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Moses gave you not that bread from heaven; but my Father giveth you the true bread from heaven. Return
6. 1 Corinthians 10:4. And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ. Return
Although the references in the original texts for Footnote 4 refers to John 3:14, a better fit would seem to be John 3:16: "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."
Also found in Mary Sackville Lawson, et al, eds., Collected Hymns, Sequences and Carols of John Mason Neale (London: Hodder and Stoughton, 1914), pp. 340-341.