Alternate Title: What Time I Kept My Sheep In Fold
Words: From the German
Music: Charles Vincent, Mus. D.
MIDI / Noteworthy Composer / PDF
Source: Carol #718, Rev. Charles Lewis Hutchins, Carols Old and Carols New (Boston: Parish Choir, 1916)
1. What time I kept my sheep in fold,
Good News to me an angel told.
Then welcome joy and banish woe
2. At Bethlehem, quoth he, tomorn
The Saviour Jesus is born. Refrain
3. Then Youngling lieth in a stall,
That shall redeem pour sinners all. Refrain
4. The stall I sought anon and found,
The Babe in swaddling hosen bound. Refrain
5. He turned and look'd me face to face,
My heart was his, in little space. Refrain
6. When rev'rently I kissed His feet,
My soul within felt wonder sweet. Refrain
7. Full loth, I took my leave, but lo!
Christ child would with me homeward go. Refrain
8. Upon my heart he laid his face,
And gave me heart's ease and solace. Refrain
9. This treasure must I guard full fast,
Else shall my bliss not always last. Refrain