A Band of Angels From the Sky
Source: Moravian Hymn Book (1754), #145, p. 72.
Out of Luke ii
1. A Band of Angels from the sky
To Shepherds in the field drew nigh,
And said, Behold, a tender Child
Lies in a crib, with poor rags veil'd!
2. The place, is David's Bethlehem,
As Micah prophecy'd by name:
The person, Jesus Christ the Lord,
Who to you all can health afford.
3. Greatly rejoice, for 'tis but just;
Of God with us you now can boast:
He now is born your flesh and blood,
Your Brother, who's the sov'reign Good.
4. What hurts you now sin, death or grave?
God's self you for companion have;
Let hell and Devil idly rage,
God's Son does on your side engage.
5. He will not, cannot, you forsake ;
Him only still your refuge make:
'Tis true, assaults you may sustain,
(Let the Fiend rage, he can't refrain)
6. But sure you shall emerge and win,
For now to God you're near of kin.
Thank him for this,and in your mind
Be hopeful Joy and patience join'd.
If you would like to help support Hymns and Carols of Christmas, please click on the button below and make a donation.