Some Ancient Christmas Carols
With the Tunes To Which They Were Formerly Sung
In The West Of England
Davies Gilbert, F. R. S., F. A. S., &c.
The First Edition
The Second Edition
Table Of Contents
1. The Lord At First Did Adam Make (With music)
2. When God At First Created Man (With music)
3. A Virgin Most Pure (With music)
4. When Righteous Joseph Wedded Was (With music)
5. Hark, Hark! What News The Angels Bring (With music)
6. Whilst Shepherds Watched Their Flocks By Night (With music)
7. God's Dear Son Without Beginning (With music)
8. Let All That Are To Mirth Inclined (With music)
18. When Bloody Herod Reigned King (For St. John The Baptist)
19. When Herod In Jerusalem (For Innocents Day)
20. Christians, Awake! Salute The Happy Morn (With music)
Two Ancient Ballads:
A Dialogue: The Servingman and the Husbandman
*** The Tunes, both in the Treble and in the Bass, are printed without alteration from the existing copies.
The 1822 volume was reprinted as an Elibron Classics by Adamant Media, Boston, 2002 (http://www.elibron.com/english/ ; ISBN: 1421262363). The first eight carols above were published in the 1822 edition, which has been scanned and posted at Google Books, Some Ancient Christmas Carols.
If you would like to help support Hymns and Carols of Christmas, please click on the button below and make a donation.