'Twas In A Cave On Christmas Morn
Words: George Ratcliffe Woodward
Music: Tune, Dick grūssen wir, O Jesulein (Constance, 1623), harmonized by Charles Wood.
Source: Charles Wood and George Ratcliffe Woodward, The Cambridge Carol-Book, Being Fifty-Two Songs For Christmas, Easter, And Other Seasons (London: Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge, 1924), #32.
1. 'Twas in a cave on Christmas morn,
Jesus, the Son of God was born,
Nowell, Nowell, Nowell.
2. See in a crib the heav'nly Child
Cradled by Mary, Maiden mild,
3. Thitherward kings and herdmen drew
For to adore the Babe Jesú,
At Bethlem Ephrata
4. Then was fulfill'd the thing foretold,
In holy writ by bards of old,
Eya, Eya, Eya.
5. Armies Angelick sang for mirth
Marvellous glad o'er Jesu's birth
Ex Matre Maria.
6. Gloria tibi, Domini,
Qui natus es pro homine,