Rejoice, Ye Babes Around The Coast
Words: George R. Woodward
Source: Rev. George R. Woodward, The Babe Of Bethlehem, Being Some Christmas Carols (48 West Hill, Highgate Village, 1923), #10
1. Rejoice, ye babes around the coast
Of Bethlehem, a blameless host.
(Loetetur chorus hodie:
Laetetur puerorum chorus hadie
2. Fear not: if Herod play you rough,
Anon it shall be smooth enough.
3. Be of good cheer: this royal sport
Shall bring you bliss with good report.
4. For henceforth ne’er a year shall
Without your fear of Childermas.
5. The King of kings doth fend from
[To set you home] a triumph-car.
6,‘Tis deckt with lilies, palms of
And roses, fresh from Paradise.
7. The Gold-smith there in gold doth
Rich rubies on your each account.
8. To-day ye shall be wiser far
Than aged folk, your teachers, are.
9. So momentary struggle spurn,
Eternal knighthood thus to earn.
10. No weeping! Quit your cots, to
By bill and brand, this triumph-wain.
11. Hark, Herod’s henchmen! Babes,
Make Martyr-Crown and Palm your prize!
If you would like to help support Hymns and Carols of Christmas, please click on the button below and make a donation.