Words: Anna Hoppe, 19201
Hoppe belonged to the Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Wisconsin.
1. Precious Child, so sweetly sleeping
In a virginís fond embrace;
Heavínly hosts their watch are keeping
Oíer Thy humble dwelling place;
Blest Messiah, newborn King,
Let my heart its tribute bring.
2. Anthems joyous now are ringing
In the skies of Bethlehem;
Angels their sweet song are singing,
"Peace on earth, good will to men"
Precious Jesus, at Thy birth
Heavenís peace is brought to earth.
3. Sweetly rest, Thou promised Savior,
By the prophets long foretold;
Brightly beams the Fatherís favor,
Now all men His love behold.
Virgin born Immanuel,
Let my tongue Thy praises tell!
4. Promised Savior, I adore Thee,
Son of David, Son of God!
What can mortals bring before Thee?
All is Thine on earthly sod.
Take my heart and let it be
Filled with love, dear Child, to Thee.
Source: Andreas Bersagel, et al., eds., The Condordia Hymnal (Minneapolis: Augsburg Publishing House, 1932).
Alternate Third and Fourth Verses:
3. Thou hast come to bring salvation,
To this sin-cursed world below,
That Thy blood redeemed creation
Thine abounding love might know.
Enter each believing heart;
Pardon, grace, and peace impart.
4. Take my humble adoration
While on earth below I dwell.
Let my songs in exultation
Of Thy boundless goodness tell,
Till in heavín above, my King,
Endless hymns of praise I sing.
1. Another source puts the date of composition at 1928. If so, it may be under copyright, and would need to be removed from the published collection. Return
If you would like to help support Hymns and Carols of Christmas, please click on the button below and make a donation.