Words: Unknown. Appeared in Hymns, Selected and Original (Baltimore, Maryland: General Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church, 1849).
1. On Judah's plains as shepherds sat,
Watching their flocks by night,
The angel of the Lord appeared,
Clad in celestial light.
2. Awe struck the vision they regard,
Appalled with trembling fear;
When thus a cherub voice divine
Breathed sweetly on their ear.
3. "Shepherds of Judah! cease your fears,|
And calm your troubled mind;
Glad tidings of great joy I bring
To you and all mankind.
4. "This day almighty Love fulfills
Its great eternal Word;
This day is born in Bethlehem
A Savior, Christ the Lord.
5. "There shall you find the heavenly Babe
In humblest weeds arrayed;
All meanly wrapped in swaddling clothes
And in a manger laid."
6. He ceased, and sudden all around
Appeared a radiant throng
Of angels, praising God, and thus
Warbling their choral song.
7. "Glory to God, from Whom on high
All gracious mercies flow!
Who sends His heav'n descended Peace
To dwell with man below."
If you would like to help support Hymns and Carols of Christmas, please click on the button below and make a donation.