Alternate Title: Yuletide
Words: Emma F. Coffin (20th Century)
1. O glowing East! O wondrous sparkling star
Announcing the Messiah's birth!
Glittering in radiant splendor there,
And angels singing, "Peace on Earth."
2. First Christmas carol the world ever knew,
Chanted by a heavenly choir
As they stood in the sky of shining blue,
Flashing with celestial fire.
3. The anthem was grand, the singers supreme,
And the surge rolled up to the throne;
Ere it ceased on earth, it echoed in heaven!
The angels bowed and glided home.
4. We think the beautiful gates were ajar
To welcome the messengers in:
That the seraphim rose and filled the air
With the echo, "Good-will to men!"
5. That God in love, in infinite power,
Rejoiced in the gift of His Son;
The tidings He gave, the shining ones told,
His message, "Salvation for men."
6. O marvelous gift! in a manger low!
The Prince of earth is born!
It kindles the fire of the heart aglow:
Song of ages, hailing the morn.
7. The Babe was a King, though the place was rude,
The Infant was Bethlehem's star;
Down through the ages from then to the now
He has shown and glittered afar.
8. His name is Immanuel, Counsellor,
The star of whom poets still sing;
The Savior, eternal, the wonderful,
Our coming bridegroom, glorious King.
If you would like to help support Hymns and Carols of Christmas, please click on the button below and make a donation.