Words: Laurence Housman (1865-1959)
Source: The English Hymnal (London: Oxford University Press, 1906).
1. The Maker of the sun and moon,
The Maker of our earth,
Lo! late in time, a fairer boon,
Himself is brought to birth!
2. How blest was all creation then,
When God so gave increase;
And Christ, to heal the hearts of men,
Brought righteousness and peace!
3. No star in all the heights of heaven
But burned to see Him go;
Yet unto earth alone was given
His human form to know.
4. His human form, by man denied,
Took death for human sin:
His endless love, through faith descried,
Still lives the world to win.
5. O perfect love, outpassing sight,
O light beyond our ken,
Come down through all the world tonight,
And heal the hearts of men!
If you would like to help support Hymns and Carols of Christmas, please click on the button below and make a donation.