Jesu, Redeemer From On High
Jesu Redemptor Onmium Quem lucis ante originem,
from The Revised Roman Breviary, 1632, for Vespers and Matins on
Translation by W. J. Copeland.
Music: Not Stated.
Source: William John (W. J.) Copeland (1804-1885), Hymns for the Week (London : W. J. Cleaver, 1848), pp. 58-59.
1. Jesu, Redeemer from on high,
Who, ere the day-light shone,
Sole Offspring of His Majesty,
Art with the Father One.
2. Thou Light of Light, His Brightness true,
Unfailing Hope of all,
Hear, wheresoe'er to Thee they sue,
Thy lowly servants' call.
3. Remember, Thou, Who all hast made,
How, for Thy creatures' sake,
Thyself, in Virgin's bosom laid,
Thy creatures' form didst take.
4. Such the glad news this festal night
From year to year doth tell,
How from Thy Father's glory bright
Thou earnest on earth to dwell.
5. Whothis so new salvation planned,
6. Shall we, whose brows the hallowing stream
Of holy Blood bedews,
As dawns Thy Birth-day's joyous beam,
Our grateful hymn refuse ?
7. Jesu, the Virgin-Mother's Son,
To Thee all glory be,
With Father, Spirit, Three in One,
Through all eternity.
If you would like to help support Hymns and Carols of Christmas, please click on the button below and make a donation.