In stature grows the heavenly Child
Words: Jean-Baptiste de SanteŘil (1630-1697);
trans. John Chandler
1. In stature grows the heavenly Child,
with death before his eyes;
a Lamb unblemished, meek and mild,
prepared for sacrifice.
2. The Son of God his glory hides
with parents mean and poor;
and he who made the heaven abides
in dwelling-place obscure.
3. Those mighty hands that stay the sky
no earthly toil refuse;
and he who set the stars on high
an humble trade pursues.
4. He before whom the angels stand,
at whose behest they fly,
now yields himself to man's command,
and lays his glory by.
5. Jesus, the Virgin's holy Son,
we praise thee and adore,
who art with God the Father one,
and Spirit evermore.
If you would like to help support Hymns and Carols of Christmas, please click on the button below and make a donation.