I Come, The Great Redeemer Cries
Music: Not Stated
Source: A. Campbell, et al., eds., The Christian Hymn
Book (Cincinnati: H. S. Bosworth, 1886) (copyright 1885)
Hymn 385. Occurs under the heading "Baptism."
"I come to do thy will. Heb. 10:7
1. "I Come," the great Redeemer cries,
....."To do thy will, O Lord"
At Jordan's flood, behold! he seals
.....The sure prophetic word.
2. "Thus it becomes us to fulfill
All righteousness," he said;
He spake obedient, and beneath
The yeilding wave was laid.
3. Hark! a glad voice -- the Father speaks,
From heaven's exalted hight;
"This is my Son, my well belov'd,
In whom I do delight."
4. Jesus, the Saviour, well belov'd!
His name we will profess,
Like him, desirous to fulfill
Each law of righteousness.
5. No more we'll count ourselves our own,
But his in bonds of love;
O! may such bonds for ever draw
Our souls to things above.
An altered version occurs in The Hymnal, 1882.