Ere The Blue Heavens Were Stretch'd Abroad
The deity and humanity of Christ, John 1. 1-3 14.
Col. 9. 16. Eph. 3, 9 10.
Music: Not Stated
1. Ere the blue heavens were stretch'd abroad,
From everlasting was the Word;
With God he was; the Word was God,
And must divinely be ador'd.
2. By his own power were all things made;
By him supported all things stand;
He is the whole creation's head,
And angels fly at his command.
3. Ere sin was born, or Satan fell,
He led the host of morning stars;
(Thy generation who can tell,
Or count the number of thy years?)
4. But lo, he leaves those heavenly forms,
The Word descends and dwells in clay,
That he may hold converse with worms,
Dress'd in such feeble flesh as they.
5. Mortals with joy beheld his face,
Th' eternal Father's only Son;
How full of truth! how full of grace!
When thro' his eyes the Godhead shone!
6. Archangels leave their high abode
To learn new mysteries here, and tell
The loves of our descending God,
The glories of Imannuel.
If you would like to help support Hymns and Carols of Christmas, please click on the button below and make a donation.