Blessed Be That Maid Mary
Words: English, 15th Century
Eia Jesus Hodie
Natus est de virgine
1. Blessed be that maid Mary,
Born He was of her body,
Godės Son that sitteth on high,
Non ex virili semine.
2. In a manger of an ass,
Jesu lay and lullėd was,
Hardė painės for to pass,
Pro peccante homine.
3. Kingės came fro divers land,
With great giftės in their hand,
In Bethlehem the Child they found,1
Stelle ducti lumine.
4. Man and child, both old and ying,
Now in His blissful coming,2
To that Child may we sing,
Gloria Tibi, Domine!
5. Nowell, nowell, in this hall,
Make merry, I pray you all
Unto the Child may we call,
Ullo sine. crimine.
1. Or: There they found him in swaddling-bands. Return
2. Or: Do joy in his blissful coming. Return
The versions on this site are:
Blessed Be That Maid Marie (Hutchins)
Blessed Be That Maid Mary (Rickert) (This page)
Blyssid Be Yt Mayde Mary (Sandys)
Blyssid be that mayde Mary (Wright)
Eya ! Jesus Hodie (Rankin)
If you would like to help support Hymns and Carols of Christmas, please click on the button below and make a donation.