Awake, Awake The Sacred Song
Words: Mrs. Anna Steele
Source: Silas H. Durant and P. G. Lester, eds., Hymn and Tune Book, Greenfield, Indiana: D. H. Goble: 1886, Hymn #51, p. 20.
1. Awake, Awake the sacred song
To our incarnate Lord;
Let every heart, and every tongue,
Adore th' eternal Word.
2. That awful Word, that sovereign Power
By whom the worlds were made,
(O happy morn, illustrious hour!)
Was once in flesh arrayed!
3. Then shone almighty power and love
In all their glorious forms,
When Jesus left his throne above,
To dwell with sinful worms.
4. To dwell with misery below,
The Saviour left the skies;
And sunk to wretchedness and wo,
That worthless men might rise.
5. Adorning angels turned their songs
To hail the joyful day;
With rapture then let mortal tongues
Their grateful worship pay.
6. What glory, Lord, to thee is due!
With wonder we adore;
But could we sing as angels do,
Our highest praise were poor.
If you would like to help support Hymns and Carols of Christmas, please click on the button below and make a donation.