A Hymn for Martyrs Sweetly Sing
For The Holy Innocents
See: The Hymns Of The Holy Innocents
The Feast day of the Holy Innocents, Martyrs, is December 28
Hymnum canentes martyrum,
The Venerable Bede, 673-735
Translated by Joan Mason Neale, 1818-1866
1. A Hymn for Martyrs sweetly sing; For Innocents your praises bring; Of whom in tears was earth bereaved, Whom heaven with songs of joy received;
2. Whose Angels see the Father's face World without end, and hymn His grace; And, while they praise their glorious King, A hymn for Martyrs sweetly sing.
3. A voice from Ramah was there sent, A voice of weeping and lament, While Rachel mourned her children sore, Whom for the tyrant's sword she bore.
4. After brief taste of earthly woe Eternal triumph now they know; For whom, by cruel torments rent, A voice from Ramah was there sent.
5. And every tear is wiped away By your dear Father's hands for aye: Death hath no power to hurt you more; Your own is life's eternal shore.
6. And all who, good seed bearing, weep, In everlasting joy shall reap, What time they shine in heavenly day, And every tear is wiped away.
If you would like to help support Hymns and Carols of Christmas, please click on the button below and make a donation.